What size bag filter housing should I be using? (#2 or #4)
The dimensions and flow rates mentioned in this article are estimates to give an idea for which size bag filter housing may be appropriate for your application. You should always adhere to the technical specifications for your specific filter housing.
There are a few considerations to take into account when choosing the correct bag filter housing size for your application, with two of the most important being flow rate and your site's space constraints.
Virtually all industrial and commercial applications utilize trade size #2 or trade size #4 filters, which correspond with #2 and #4 size filter housings.
|Trade Size #2||Trade Size #4|
|Bag Width||7 1/16"||4 1/8"|
Housing Height (exterior dimension; varies by top style and stand)
Housing Width (exterior dimension, varies by model)
|Flow rate (gpm)||100 gpm||40 gpm|
A #2 size bag filter housing holds a #2 size liquid filter bag (7-1/16" diameter x 32" length). The entire #2 housing measures approximately 38"-42" tall, and 8"-9" wide. Be sure to take into account the adjustable height of the stand if the housing will be in a confined area.
A #4 size bag filter housing holds a #4 size liquid filter bag (4-1/8" diameter x 14" length). The entire #4 housing measures approximately 21"-23" tall, and 4.5"-5" wide. Again, be sure to take into account the adjustable height of the stand if the housing will be in a confined area.
Example Dimensional Drawings
|#2 Size||#4 Size|
multi-bag housings or dual bag filter housing (duplex) skids can be an appropriate solution.
Standalone Multi-Filter Housings
- A standalone 3 Bag Multi-Filter Housing can accommodate flow rates up to 395 gallons per minute, and utilizes three liquid filter bags at once.
- A standalone 6 Bag Multi-Filter Housing can accommodate flow rates up to 650 gallons per minute, utilizing six liquid filter bags at once.
A filtration skid system adds the benefit of portability to high flow filtration applications, while increasing the maximum allowable gallons per minute.
- A #2 size dual bag filter housing skid utilizes two standard #2 size filter housings, plumbed together at the inlet and outlet connections, and typically include ball valves. This type of solution allows for increased flow greater than 100 gpm, while still utilizing a single liquid filter bag in each housing.
- Multi-Bag Filter Housings can also be utilized on a filtration skid system, allowing for even greater flow rates. For example, a Dual 3-Bag Filter Housing Skid can accommodate flow rates up to 800 gpm.
- Rental Filtration Skid Systems are also available for short and long-term leases. Speak with a PRM Filtration expert to learn more.
Choosing the correct size for your bag filter housing is one of many factors to take into consideration when deciding on the appropriate filtration solution. Be sure to speak with an experienced filtration expert to ensure everything runs smoothly and all aspects of your project are taken into consideration.